Sunday, May 19, 2013

The Uncertainties of University


I realised that I haven't blogged since April. Its been a while since Yas, and boy do I miss that place. But this post isn't based on how I miss the past 2 months. I'll save that post for when my summer comes to an end. For now i'm going to talk about what lies at the end of Summer '13. Particularly, at the end of August. 
And that is: 

University Begins.

Yep, University time is finally approaching. And I'm pretty sure it's what every high school graduate is thinking about. It's the "next big step". It's what will "define who we will grow up to be." 4+ Years of Undergraduate study will shape us into the new generation. 
But that's all roses and flowers. There's a lot we're not prepared for. There's a lot we're taking for granted. And there's a lot that we've been told to consider, but we just don't. 

Independence just doesn't come like that. After spending the first 17(or 18) years of your life in a secure bubble with your friends and family, it'll be one hell of a shift. We have the luxuries here that we'll long for once we're there. I can't say I know how that feels because I still have to experience it. Seniors and their parents can try all they want to explain it to us, tell us to brace-ourselves and to expect a lot. But that's all we can do, brace ourselves. We cannot experience it unless we're actually there. 

There's a lot to learn. A lot to experience. Things that we'll need to survive out there. Sooner or later we're going to have to see the independent life. The life without the "bubble." Be it at the age of 18 or at the age of 22, we're still going to experience the same experiences, make the same mistakes and do the same things. We can't learn if we're spending time feeling secure. 
Some people prefer seeing that life at the Post-Graduate level, but all I feel is that you'll be going to the university with no independent experience and a lot of knowledge from undergrad. That's it. 

I will miss everything here, my family especially. It'll be insane spending 4 months without really interacting with them and our conversations limited to instant-messaging and Video Chats via Facetime or Skype. But we'll handle that obstacle when we get to it. For now, we can just brace ourselves. 

With that, I look forward to the first 5 months at college. The new life. The restricted yet unrestricted life of a college student living in a dormitory within the Campus away from all securities and previously known luxuries. I look forward to Fall 2013.

Until Next Post,
Parichay

P.S. BBM's coming to iPhone. My "Predicament" [See earlier post] has been solved. Huhu.

No comments:

Post a Comment